The Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum is hiring a paid education intern. The intern will get to work with an amazing team and help shape programs at a very young museum (we celebrate our 2nd birthday in June!). The internship is structured to include learning and networking time as well as work time. AND they get to spend a year in Peoria, which has a great community, affordable housing, and is 3 hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis.
Please help us spread the word by sharing this with qualified candidates – recent graduates with a demonstrated interest in museum work. The internship begins in August 2017, and ends in August 2018. This internship is supported by the Monticello College Foundation, which has the goal of furthering women’s education, so applicants must identify as female.
- College degree is required. Degree in Education, Museum Studies, Art or Early Childhood Development a plus.
- Must have a demonstrated interest in the field of museum education or museum studies.
- Experience in a formal or informal educational setting working with children 0-9 years of age. Previous experience in a museum or with customer service is a plus.
- Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Experience or desire to work with a highly diverse audience in a busy atmosphere.
- Must have experience or interest in working with children and families in an informal educational setting.
- Ability to interact positively and spontaneously with visitors.
- Knowledge of basic telephone and PC functions including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to contribute to an atmosphere of teamwork and positive energy among staff and volunteers.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a minimal degree of supervision.
- The Monticello Intern is funded by the Monticello College Foundation, which exits for the purpose of promoting women’s education; therefore, only female applicants will be considered.
- Participate in creation and implementation of education programming.
- The intern will have responsibility for a PlayHouse Education Program, to be selected in collaboration with the intern. For 2017-18 we recommend that the internship focus on PlayHouse school programs. This would include:
- Deliver high quality customer service by answering questions and assisting guests interested in booking field trips.
- Complete field trip bookings in museum calendar and in our booking system.
- Prepare for and occasionally facilitate interactive field trip experiences.
- Help train volunteers to work with school groups.
- Report field trip supply needs to Education Manager in a timely manner.
- Conduct program evaluation and make recommendations for program improvements.
- Report all visitor comments, complaints, and trends to Operations Manager in a timely manner.
- Follow and support all aspects of the Park District’s safety program.
- Attend all meetings as required.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- $15,000 total, to be paid in bi-weekly increments for a contract term of 52 weeks (August 21, 2017 – August 17, 2018)
- Typical work hours are assigned and performed during the 8am – 4pm time period while the facility is open. The intern will work at the PlayHouse 4 days a week for approximately 29 hours per week; this may include some evening and weekend hours.
- The Monticello Internship has an educational component, which includes:
- Two weeks of training with Education staff and weekly check-in meetings with the Education Manager.
- One day per week will be designated as a training/learning day to explore museum related topics; this may include some travel (there is a small travel budget for this intern).
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter, and must also complete a Peoria Park District job application. To ensure full consideration, applications/resume should be forwarded in a timely manner to: PEORIA PARK DISTRICT – Human Resources Manager, 1125 West Lake Ave, Peoria, IL 61614 or fax to: (309) 686-3352.
The Peoria Park District hires without regard to race, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, unfavorable discharge from military service, or disability to perform the tasks of the job. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.