As mentioned in a recent post, I am currently hiring full-time staff for the Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum. The job description for the Education Manager can now be found here (scroll down to find it) and at the end of this post.
It’s an interesting experience to be hiring someone else to do the job I held (in one version or another, at one institution or another) for fifteen years. I am struggling not to get too excited about planning programs myself. For the visionary museum educator interested in living in Peoria, this is a great opportunity, and I promise not to take all the fun parts for myself.
But, just to inspire you, here are some thoughts…
We could offer children the opportunity to work with artists to transform the landscape of Glen Oak Park,where the museum is situated…
We could let kids of all ages make things…
And, of course, we could reinvent the field trip…
If you are inspired, you know where to find me.
Job Opening – Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum
POSITION: Full Time
- Four-year college degree in museum education, education or a closely related field is required. Although a degree is preferred, extensive experience in a like position with similar duties or responsibilities may be substituted for all or part of the educational requirement.
- Requires a minimum of two years of direct experience in an educational setting, ideally a museum or other informal education setting.
- Must have excellent customer service, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Must have knowledge and experience in creating and facilitating educational experiences in a science and engineering, art, history, early childhood and/or other related context. Must be comfortable working in all of these disciplines.
- Knowledge of basic personnel supervision practices.
- Knowledge of computers as needed for office work, including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to train, supervise and evaluate employees and volunteers. Create an atmosphere of teamwork and positive energy among staff and volunteers.
- Ability to communicate with others clearly in person and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement, supervise and evaluate educational programs.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a minimal degree of supervisory oversight.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, other park district personnel, vendors, and the general public.
- Must be people oriented. Must continually demonstrate a customer-friendly personality while performing all duties in a manner that demonstrates reliability, initiative, tact and resourcefulness.
- Must be able to work with children of all ages, as well as adults. Must show interest in children and families.
- Must demonstrate an ongoing commitment to learning and innovation.
- Develop educational programs for a range of audiences, including infants, toddlers, young children, older children, teens and parents. Develop strategies for engaging parents and guardians.
- Establish and maintain relationships with schools and community groups. Develop programs for school groups and teachers.
- Create and manage off-site educational programming. Promote education programs and work directly with visitors to the Museum.
- Collaborate with programming staff from Peoria Zoo, Luthy Botanical Gardens and other Park District staff to create educational programs in Glen Oak Park and elsewhere.
- Help to train staff, volunteers and interns to work with Museum visitors. Develop policies and procedures for staff and volunteers working with education programs.
- Manage special events and birthday parties as needed.
- Evaluate programs and use the evaluations to inform program changes.
- Coordinate with Operations Manager and other staff.
- Follow and support all aspects of the Park District’s safety program.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum
- Salary range: $33,000 – $38,000 per year.
- Schedule consists of four week-days and one weekend day per week. Additional evening and weekend hours may be required.
How to Apply: Applications are available at the Park District Administration Office or can be downloaded/printed from www.peoriaparks.org under “Join Our Team”. Applicants may submit a resume’, but to be fully considered for this position an application must be completed. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
To ensure full consideration, applications/resume should be forwarded in a timely manner to: PEORIA PARK DISTRICT – Human Resources Manager, 1125 West Lake Ave, Peoria, IL 61614 or fax to: (309) 686-3352.
PEORIA PARK DISTRICT
Human Resources Manager
1125 West Lake Ave
Peoria, Illinois 61614
The Peoria Park District hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, pregnancy, military status or unfavorable discharge from military service, protected veteran status or on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.